Good times, good food! Just because holidays like Memorial Day focus around slapping meat on the grill doesn’t meat that we veggies can’t make excellent tasting food too – even on the grill! I absolutely cannot wait to host my pool party tomorrow with so many vegetarian delights, including veggie dogs by Light Life and burgers by MorningStar Farms!!! But, what I am truly excited about is the Grilled Portobello Slider Burgers recipe that I found on Vegetarian Times’ website. These look SO amazing that I almost wanted to make them earlier in the week. I love that they are topped with caramelized onions. I could see sauteed mushrooms being an excellent topper as well. I will let everyone know how the mushroom sliders turn out. Have a happy and safe weekend!
- 8 baby portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs. Classic BBQ Rub
- 2 medium yellow or white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 oz. shredded smoked Gouda (3/4 cup)
- 8 mini challah rolls or dinner rolls
1. Toss mushrooms in bowl with 1 Tbs. olive oil and Classic BBQ Rub. Set aside.
2. Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and herbes de Provence, and cook 30 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Heat grill or grill topper over medium-high heat. Rub grate or grill topper with vegetable oil. Place mushrooms stem-side down on grill. Brush mushroom tops with barbecue sauce, and grill 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft and charred around the edges. Flip, and grill 3 minutes more. Divide cheese among mushrooms, placing in center of each stem side. Grill 1 minute more, or until cheese is melted.
4. Meanwhile, warm buns on grill. Spread barbecue sauce on bottom buns, then top each with 1 mushroom, sautéed onions, and top bun.
View the recipe on Vegetarian Times’ website by clicking here.